Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blog Post #5

The iSchool initiative
Travis Allen really got me interested in his idea about iSchool and the many positives about the use of it. Budget cuts are being made in schools and classes are getting bigger. His idea of using one touch screen is one of the best things I've ever heard. Technology does belong and it can replace all of the papers, scanners, and even pencils used in a classroom. There are many ways that iSchool can help teach a class in any subject taught in school. World Wiki can tell you anything about the world and can show you any country at the touch of a screen. The math was the most interesting to me because students use so much money every year on scientific calculators and books. I liked his arguments about iSchool a lot and I think every school around the world should really look into it. This device could help teachers learn new ways to teach their students in ways that they wouldn't be able to without it. I love the idea of saving money anytime possible and comparing 600 dollars to 150 dollars, there's just no comparison.
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
I am amazed by this video. Knowing that none of these people have ever performed together is just mind blowing to me. People from many different places being able to make such beautiful music is something that makes the internet just so much better. The internet is just so much more than just researching stuff and looking for new games to play, it is also a way to make wonderful things to happen. This video was very inspiring to me and anyone that watches it will be just as interested as I was.
Picture from Pc Rentals
Teaching in the 21st Century
Roberts feels that teaching is changing in many ways. The main way it's changing, of course, is because technology seems to offer so many things at the click of a button that teachers just can't. Yes a cell phone, google, and computers can give you all of the information that you need but it's not teaching you. A teacher still has a high priority of showing a student why and how things are the way they are. A computer can't get hands on and show examples in real life in the way that a teacher can. A teacher has to validate and communicate with the students so that they learn and understand what they have looked up on their use of technology. This will affect educators in a way that just makes their job easier but still very important.
Flipped Classrooms
I think these ideas of teaching can become very useful. Why I Flipped My Classroom made many helpful points that really got me on board with this way of getting all of the students on the same page. Recording lectures and sending them to the students is a great way to have everyone prepared before they even step foot into the classroom. The students that are ahead of the class can just watch the lecture and be fine. The students that are struggling can stop and pause anytime that it is needed. When students are able to self pace, the learning should come so much easier. I want to use this in my classroom to make everyone happy and give them a chance to know all of the material ahead of time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla

    Good job on your post. I'm glad that you have found some useful information form this assignment! These new ways of teaching and learning are only getting more diverse, so having a basic knowledge about these things is very important to the 21st Century teacher.

    Keep up the good work!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you in Flipped Classrooms. I also think it is useful because students can make sure of lesson contents and prepare questions which they can share with classmates and teacher in classroom if they have. I think you should write two or more paragraph each topics and your post includes how these websites and videos reflect our teaching in the future.
    Thank you for sharing your opinions.

    Keiko Ito

    ReplyDelete